Wednesday, December 5, 2007

in sepia?

there was an exact moment when i became positive that i would never be getting married to the doctor."do you want any of this coke? i saved you some," I said to him from where i was sitting at the desk in our hotel room. he was laying on the bed, mouth slightly open, staring at whatever football game was on ESPN. the look on his face resembeled one of a retarded child. after a few seconds he turned look at me as i sat there holding a rolled up hundred peso note in one hand and my wells fargo credit card in the other."no lizzie, i bought that for you." he flashed aquick, sickly fake smile and turned his attention backtowards the TV. I snorted another line and grabbed my portable cdplayer from walmart. i sat outside on the balcony in cabo san lucas watching the mist blow by through the humid air.i listened to bob dylan on repeat and began writing this story in my head .about looking up from that desk after snorting those lines of coke and watching him watch the TV. about the moment when all the doubt went away, and i knew it wasn't going to work out. it took me 3 years to sit down and type it out.

No comments: